Tomb Raider explores the intense and gritty origin story of Lara Croft and her ascent from a young woman to a hardened survivor. Armed only with raw instincts and the ability to push beyond the limits of human endurance, Lara must fight to unravel the dark history of a forgotten island to escape its relentless hold. Read this Crash Wiki guide to get past through the most annoying bugs and crashes you might encounter when installing and playing Tomb Raider!
Tomb Raider Crashes, Blackscreen, Restart, Options Crash, Unpacking, Direct3D Crash, Graphics and Textures Glitches
Tomb Raider Crashes and Restarts
Try any or all of the following:
- Disable tessellation in the options should instantly fix your problem.
- On the launch screen, click on options, and turn off “Exclusive Fullscreen.” Tomb Raider should run properly now.
- In the options, set Hair to Normal.
If you crash when opening the Options menu, find the solution below.
Tomb Raider Crashes in Options
Follow these steps, guaranteed to work:
- Open Notepad, and copy and paste the registry data found here: http://pastebin.com/M2XXcjts
- Save the Notepad file as TombRaider.reg
- Double click the file and you will be warned that adding information may screw up your registry.
- Don’t worry about this, just click Yes.
- Try running the game again.
Stuck in Game is Currently Unpacking
Please be patient, Tomb Raider takes a while to download and unpack.
Black Screen when Starting Up Tomb Raider
Please try the Tessellation and Exclusive Fullscreen fixes above. They should address any Black Screen crashes as well.
Failed to Initialize Direct3D
In the Tomb Raider launcher, uncheck Exclusive Fullscreen and you will be able to start the game.
Disk Write Error when installing Tomb Raider
Make sure you have sufficient disk space and install Tomb Raider again.
Tomb Raider Graphics and Textures Glitches
Turn off Tessellation in the Options menu and you should be glitch free.
Other Crash fixes for Tomb Raider
If you still get persistent crashes despite the fixes posted here, run through this troubleshooting guide:
- Update your nVidia / ATI graphics drivers. Check our Technical References page for proper and official download links.
- Turn off SLI / Crossfire then start the game. See if it stabilizes Tomb Raider performance.
- Turn off your anti-virus software before launching the Tomb Raider, but make sure you turn it back on after playing. Make sure Windows Defender is also disabled.
- Try using only one GPU first (turn the other one off via your nVidia / ATI graphics control panel)
- Try running the game in Windowed Mode (frequently works for low-end PCs)
- Disable anti-aliasing and filtering, restart Tomb Raider
- Disable V-sync, restart Tomb Raider
- Disable background apps, and turn off your anti-virus software
- In Windows 7 right-click the Tomb Raider exe file, go to the ‘Compatibility Mode’ tab and check ‘Disable Desktop Composition’
Can I run Tomb Raider?
Make sure you meet the minimum specs required to play Tomb Raider:
OS:Windows XP Service Pack 3, Windows Vista,7,8 (32bit/64bit)
Processor:Dual core CPU: AMD Athlon64 X2 2.1 Ghz (4050+), Intel Core2 Duo 1.86 Ghz (E6300)
Memory:2 GB RAM
Graphics:DirectX 9 graphics card with 512Mb Video RAM: AMD Radeon HD 2600 XT, nVidia 8600
Hard Drive:10 GB HD space
Other Requirements:Broadband Internet connection
Still encounter Crashes, Errors, and Bugs?
Let us know in the comments below if you’re still having problems playing Tomb Raider. We’ll post more solutions as they turn up.