For your fix of some medieval RTS gaming, the King’s Bounty series sure is a worthy game. With a new main hero in Olaf the Viking, you also get improved skill trees, awards, spells, and an enhanced battle system. There are some crashing and error issues you need to overcome though, so the Crash Wiki team has built a list of known working fixes to help you out. Please don’t forget to post in the comments!
Fixes for King’s Bounty: Warriors of the North Boss Fight Crashes, Not loading, Error 51, Cloud sync, Mac Crash
Crash – Faulting application name: KBWotN.exe
Let’s start off with this very generic crash. This could be caused by a multitude of factors, so please run through our troubleshooting list below. Continue reading for more specific fixes.
- Update your nVidia / ATI graphics drivers. Check our Technical References page for proper and official download links.
- Turn off SLI / Crossfire then start the game. See if it stabilizes King’s Bounty: Warriors of the North performance.
- Turn off your anti-virus software before launching the King’s Bounty: Warriors of the North, but make sure you turn it back on after playing. Make sure Windows Defender is also disabled.
- Try using only one GPU first (turn the other one off via your nVidia / ATI graphics control panel)
- Try running the game in Windowed Mode (frequently works for low-end PCs)
- Disable anti-aliasing and filtering, restart King’s Bounty: Warriors of the North
- Disable V-sync, restart King’s Bounty: Warriors of the North
- Disable background apps, and turn off your anti-virus software
- In Windows 7 right-click the King’s Bounty: Warriors of the North exe file, go to the ‘Compatibility Mode’ tab and check ‘Disable Desktop Composition’
Boss Fight Crash to Desktop (Spoiler Alert!)
If you’re encountering crash problems during the boss fight versus Eric, here are some working but sort of painful workarounds:
- Deal some damage then run away and come back until you slowly kill them all
- If you’re a spellcaster, just use magic missile level 2
- Update: If you’re using Skalds, the developers just released a quick fix for this. Make sure your game is updated.
King’s Bounty: Warriors of the North does not load
If you get this error, usually with a fault module name of install.exe Microsoft® Visual Studio® 2008, try installing the Visual Studio 2008 redistributable directly from Microsoft. If you’re on Windows 7, try reinstalling it through Add/Remove Programs. Let us know if this works for you.
Error Code 51
If you’re getting this error on King’s Bounty: WotN, try this similar fix we used on Deadlight:
- On Windows 7, click the Start button
- Click Control Panel
- Click Region and Language
- Administrative Tab
- Click Change System Locale
- Change to English (United States)
- Restart your PC and try running the game
King’s of Bounty: Warriors of the North – Steam Cloud sync issues
This causes you to lose your achievements. This bug is currently being fixed, but the workaround is to go to the save game window and click the sync button for each and every time you want to save to the cloud. Let us know in the comments if you find a more effective solution.
Can I run King’s Bounty: Warriors of the North?
Here are the minimum requirements to run KBWotN:
- OS:Windows XP/Vista/7
- Processor:2.6 GHz and better
- Memory:1 GB RAM
- Graphics:nVidia GeForce 6600 with 128 Mb VRAM or similar AMD card
- Hard Drive:8 GB HD space
- Sound:DirectX 9.0c compliant
Graphics problems on Mac
Thanks to nedclark for his inputs in the Steam forums:
Got it to work on my retina macbook pro by restarting machine and launching game before loading any other apps. Loading just about anything else results in the graphics issue (making the game unplayable). Embarrassing that steam and 1C haven’t fixed this yet (present in the other Kings Bounty games). Would seem that doing a simple graphics memory dump on launching the game might fix the prob. Going to lose potential customers with this continued lack of basic app testing. At least there’s now GoG for more mac ports.
Your feedback is welcome
We hope we were able to save you from headaches arising from these game problems. We’d like to hear your feedback in the comments section below.