Far Cry 3 is now being launched worldwide, and gamers have been reporting persistent crashes, errors, bugs, and graphics glitches that are ruining the game experience. Here’s our Crash Wiki guide to help you run Far Cry 3 smoothly.
Far Cry 3 Fixes for Poor FPS, Crash, Black Screen, Texture Glitches, Stopped Working, Stuck Loading, No Sound, Errors
2014 Update: Be sure to also check our guide on the Top 7 Updated Fixes for Far Cry 3 Crashes, Stopped Responding, Hangs, DX11 Errors, Freezes, Minimizes
Poor FPS / Framerates
Install the latest 310.64 Beta Drivers downloadable from http://www.nvidia.com/object/win8-win7-winvista-64bit-310.64-beta-driver.html
Unable to bind KP_Enter or KP_Del
Currently the only way is switch the keys using windows. A patch will be pushed soon to fix this.
Far Cry 3 Artifacting and Texture Issues
Try these tweaks to fix texture issues:
- Lower your settings to 2x MSAA and Very High.
- Change ambient occlusion from HDAO to HBAO.
Far Cry 3 shuts down PC or crash to desktop in first cut scene
This is a weird issue found during the initial crocodile fight. Make sure your GPU/CPU is not overheating and you have sufficient cooling/ventilation.
- Update your nVidia / ATI graphics drivers. Check our Technical References page for proper and official download links.
- Turn off SLI / Crossfire then start the game. See if it stabilizes Far Cry 3 performance.
- Turn off your anti-virus software before launching the Far Cry 3, but make sure you turn it back on after playing. Make sure Windows Defender is also disabled.
- Try using only one GPU first (turn the other one off via your nVidia / ATI graphics control panel)
- Try running the game in Windowed Mode (frequently works for low-end PCs)
- Disable anti-aliasing and filtering, restart Far Cry 3
- Disable V-sync, restart Far Cry 3
- Disable background apps, and turn off your anti-virus software
- In Windows 7 right-click the Far Cry 3 exe file, go to the ‘Compatibility Mode’ tab and check ‘Disable Desktop Composition’
Far Cry 3 black screen crash
Please try the fixes posted above.
Far Cry 3 stuck at loading menu
Turn UPlay to offline mode to fix this bug.
Far Cry 3 has stopped working – crash after loading screen / logo
Verify your steam game cache and run the game again.
Patch Error: Could not retrieve version number. Installation will be aborted.
You may already have the patch installed. You can check your game version in the in-game main menu.
Cannot exit vehicles in Far Cry 3
Change your controls back to default and you will be able to exit the vehicle.
No Sound in Far Cry 3
For Windows 7 and Vista users:
First of all, update your sound card drivers. If doing that doesn’t clear up the problem, make sure you have volume set to max for Far Cry 3 in the volume mixer (click on the little speaker icon in the bottom-right of your screen in the system tray). If you’re in-game, just alt+tab out of the game and check if Far Cry 3 is set to max in the volume mixer.
Another tip you could try is to go to Control Panel > Hardware and Sound > Sound > Communications Tab then select the “Do Nothing” radio button to permanently fix this issue.
For Windows XP users:
Reduce hardware acceleration, or set your speakers to Stereo.
Try the ambient occlusion fix. Simply set it from HDAO to HBAO.
We hope our fix guide helped you get by those Far Cry 3 crashes, errors, and bugs. If you’re encountering other issues or have other solutions, please post them in the comments below. Let us know your feedback as well.