Since its initial release in 1998, Baldur’s Gate has entertained millions of fans around the globe and has received countless awards. The good news is, you can now relive the game on Steam! You may encounter a couple of graphical bugs and crashes though, due to the port for modern PC’s. Read on to find the fixes you need.
Baldur’s Gate: Enhance Edition (BGEE) Errors, Crashes, Mouse Problem, Lag, White Texture, Does not start
Windows Error upon starting the Baldur’s Gate: Enhanced Edition
If you’re using a laptop running on nVidia and get this error, try this fix:
- Go to Start > Search for “Nvidia Control Panel” and click it
- On the left, choose “Managed 3D settings”
- Click on the “Program Settings” tab
- Click on the “Add” button. An explorer window will pop up – choose the program that you want to run the Nvidia chip with
- Under the drop down menu, choose “High-performance nVidia Processor
You’re set! Now every time you run the program you selected, Optimus will enable the Nvidia processor.
Fix Lag in Baldur’s Gate: Enhanced Ediiton
Turning off your anti-virus program while playing BGEE should do the trick.
Invisible mouse when picking up items
In the options toggle your hardware mouse cursor, that should fix it.
White textures bug in BGEE
- Use Guru 3D’s driver sweeper http://www.guru3d.com/content_page/guru3d_driver_sweeper.html
- Reinstall graphics drivers
Disappearing mouse cursor in fullscreen mode
In the Options / Graphics menu, there is a new option there to enable/disable the hardware mouse cursor.
Baldur’s Gate Stopped Working
This is a possible driver issue. Follow these troubleshooting steps:
- Update your Video Drivers. If you have neither an nVidia or AMD/ATI graphics card or chipset, you will need to download the latest drivers from the manufacturer website.
- Reinstall OpenAL. OpenAL is a support library used for audio in games. If OpenAL did not install correctly, Baldur’s Gate: Enhanced Edition will not launch. You can download a copy here: http://connect.creativelabs.com/openal/Downloads/oalinst.zip
- Resolve Intel Switchable Graphics or “Hybrid Graphics” Issues.
- Disabled forced rendering options
Cannot change language in BGEE
You can’t change the language options until you start a new game.
Baldur’s Gate: Enhanced Edition Freezing on Startup
One of the workarounds posted by Tyromancer was to go into the installation folder and launch Baldur.exe twice (i.e., click really fast).
Fix blurry text for nVidia users
- Go into your NVIDIA control panel (if you do not have the green icon in your taskbar icons, search your programs for the NVIDIA folder, should be there)
- Manage settings (mine says 3D settings, right above Physx Config) on left side menu bar
- Global settings are selected by default, click the tab for program settings
- Under select program to optimize, click the “add” button
- You want to find “BALDUR.EXE” which is in the baldues gate ee/data/7066 file)
- Add that file
- Turn OFF V-Sync, Triple Buffering, and Anti-Aliasing FXAA
Game does not start
Symptoms: you download the game, click ‘Play’, and nothing happens
Try installing http://connect.creativelabs.com/openal/Downloads/oalinst.zip
Make sure you can run Baldur’s Gate: Enhanced Edition
Here are the minimum requirements for the game:
- OS:Windows XP, Vista, 7, 8
- Processor:1 GHZ
- Memory:512 MB RAM
- Graphics:OpenGL 2.0 compatible (Intel graphics chipsets are NOT supported)
- Hard Drive:2 GB HD space
- Sound:Windows Compatible
We hope our comprehensive guide was able to help you, otherwise please leave a comment below. If you have more fix suggestions, please let us know so we could include it in the list.