What can we say, steampunk-themed games are just so cool. Guns of Icarus Online is here to bring us a fresh perspective of the strategic PvP genre with a slew of “goggles, gears, and glory”, engaging you as either Captain, Gunner, or Engineer, depending on your play style. Guns of Icarus Online is not without some game-breaking issues though, so our team has worked to build a list of fixes for launch crashes, registration bugs, corrupted files, and more. Let us know if this list has helped you in any way by posting in the comments section.
Guns of Icarus Online Fixes for Errors, Full screen issues, SteamAPI crash, Corrupted files, Stuck loading
Stuck at game confirmation or registration
If e-mail registration is taking too long, simply restart Guns of Icarus Online and try again. This is the quick fix recommended by most users. If this doesn’t work for you, please let us know in the comments.
Guns of Icarus Online crashes instantly upon launch
When you run Guns of Icarus, hear a bit of music, and it instantly crashes thereafter, run through the following troubleshooting steps:
- Update your nVidia / ATI graphics drivers. Check our Technical References page for proper and official download links.
- Turn off SLI / Crossfire then start the game. See if it stabilizes Guns of Icarus Online performance.
- Turn off your anti-virus software before launching the Guns of Icarus Online, but make sure you turn it back on after playing. Make sure Windows Defender is also disabled.
- Try using only one GPU first (turn the other one off via your nVidia / ATI graphics control panel)
- Try running the game in Windowed Mode (frequently works for low-end PCs)
- Disable anti-aliasing and filtering, restart Guns of Icarus Online
- Disable V-sync, restart Guns of Icarus Online
- Disable background apps, and turn off your anti-virus software
- In Windows 7 right-click the Guns of Icarus Online exe file, go to the ‘Compatibility Mode’ tab and check ‘Disable Desktop Composition’
Failed to initialized SteamAPI Crash
If you get this error, in addition to the fixes posted above, you can simply restart Steam if you haven’t rebooted it for a while. Usually this error arises from stagnated Steam files that accumulate if you usually keep it on for extended periods of time.
Guns of Icarus Online randomly crashes and need to restart PC
If about half an hour into the game you get a weird crash that requires you to reboot your PC to fix it, the prime suspect is usually an overheating GPU. Make sure you have sufficient cooling for your graphics card.
Full Screen Issues and Problems
From the developer:
If anyone is having an issue with fullscreen (we’ve gotten 2 reports), it is looking like there is some issue with your graphics card supporting full screen. We’ll work on a better way to detect this issue for you in the future so you don’t get stuck in a blank screen, but in the meantime, this is how you can reset your screen res:
- Open regedit
- Navigate to the key HKEY_CURRENT_USERSoftwareMuse Games
- Delete the subkey GunsOfIcarusOnline
On Mac, delete the file:
- /Library/Preferences/unity.Muse Games.GunsOfIcarusOnline.plist
Guns of Icarus Online corrupted files
If you are getting corrupted file errors when trying to launch Guns of Icarus, verify the integrity of your Steam game cache.
Guns of Icarus Online stuck at loading screen, Won’t connect
Initial diagnosis according to the developers is that this is a server-side issue. For example, during Beta there was a time they disabled European servers due to loading errors which allowed users to login properly. If you’re encountering this, you should email Guns of Icarus support so they can resolve this quickly as they did a few times before.
Work in Progress
We’ll be updating this fix guide for Guns of Icarus Online as we get more information and also with your inputs on possible solutions that you might come up with. Do post your feedback and solutions in the comments section so we can make this a truly helpful resource page for fellow Guns of Icarus Online gamers.